19 Aug 2015
When to change your locks
Far from being an unusual event, changing your locks should be a routine, essential part of your regular home or business maintenance. There are, also, particular circumstances when changing your locks becomes a priority:
- The most obvious reason to change locks is when you’ve lost your house keys. Even if they are returned by a kind soul, it’s important to remember that they could have been copied first and it’s better to err on the side of caution.
- After a break-in or an attempted break-in is an obvious time to replace the locks. It’s also a good opportunity to look at your security arrangements overall and can help bring extra peace of mind after the trauma of such an event.
- If you’ve had tradesmen in and not had the keys returned, or had them returned later than you expected, you should strongly consider replacing the locks to be on the safe side.
- No matter how civilised or amicable a separation or divorce is, replacing the locks can prevent nasty misunderstandings.
- When you move into a new home it’s advisable to change the locks. You can’t tell who may have had access to the keys before you.
- Old locks or locks that are difficult to work can suddenly fail and it wouldn’t be good to suddenly find yourself locked out – especially in the middle of the night after a holiday or when you’re in a rush to get home and back out again for your evening’s activities.
- When room-mates, flat-mates, or house-mates leave, it’s advisable to change the locks. Again, you can’t be sure who has had access to the keys and you wouldn’t want to come back home to any nasty surprises after your former companions have moved on.
- As security technology advances and locks become obsolete, it can be a good idea to change the locks every few years anyway. If you’re improving your security, you can often benefit from improved insurance rates, so it’s always a good idea to bear this in mind when you’re reviewing your security arrangements.
Aberdeen Alarm Company are delighted to announce that we have expanded our range or services to include locksmith and small joinery services so, should you decide that you need, or want, to change your locks, we would be pleased to advise you.